Thursday, March 09, 2006

Results from the first Shoot


So here are some of the images from the shoot I did with the help of my brother-in-law Baruch in the basement pool of my brother Sean's apartment in Sydney, what must be almost two months ago. I rented a scuba tank from Bondi Dive center for AUS$ 70 for a day and Baruch arrived at 2 that afternoon. We spent about an hour going over the preparation of the Nikonos V, mainly checking O-rings for leaks and discussing how we would do the shoot and possible distance adjustments for the focus, strobe and f stop. Baruch donned his blue and black 'stinger' lycra suit and we headed down to the pool. I only shot one roll of film and Baruch also took a few shots of me. The scuba gear was unyeildly and it would be preferable to have less gear! Also had the pool been deep enough, it would be difficult to shoot directly above as the regulator does not work well in that position! All in all the camera worked well, the strobe seems to have an effective distance of about 6 feet max! But that was fine as the 20mm lens enabled me to get a full body shot from about 4 feet away, the strobe is very powerful and seems to blow out the subject on the TTL setting, so in future I'll experiment with ISO setting adjustments and also try to use pro film. The film I used here was Kodak Gold 200.
Freestyle Kick from behind ( changed to b/w in photoshop )

Me enlarged from a 4000 dpi scan and as the strobe did not reach, made b/w as it would otherwise be very blue!
Baruch, breastroking, head to side, not sure why?
So here is me, in poor form as my head is looking at Baruch while he shoots, but ordinarily, I'd have my face pointing down and my neck in the correct alignment for freestyle.

Tumbleturn attempt number three!

So this was a good start I feel, camera and logistics starting to get ironed out.

No comments: