Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sea Horses

Kate Weare is an old friend and modern dance coreographer in New York. From an email dated 1/1/2007

" ... I think the photos of swimmers are gorgeous, by the way, been meaning to tell you that. You know, Kurt and I visited the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (a very old institution) and I thought of you and the swimming shots, because the movement language of underwater creatures in so sublime and fierce and you captured some of it, particularly in that one swimmer who is long and sharp-bodied. It would be great to see her body without clothes in the water (don’t know if she’d be willing) not for any sexual reason but because her physique seems so beautifully formed for and attuned to speed, like a sting-ray or a shark. Anyway, the shots are fascinating, especially when the body is composed in a linear way against the flow of the underwater environment, like an arrow or a knife. I think the way gentler creatures move, like seahorses that just float and flow, could also be interesting to play with, but there you could run into more sexual innuendo, which may not be a bad thing, but just another element..."

I agree, the underwater shoot with Origami and light in a natural pool maybe moonlight. Muybridge shot some of his models without clothes, I don't think it would be sexual at all from my perspective. Water for me goes more towards the spiritual I think!

1 comment:

Tony Austin said...

Grant, I blogged your new Flickr photo set you sent me this morning. I color corrected one of them in Photoshop and I want to send it to you with the exact steps I did to it.